Go to Author's Original Site
Bascinet (Based on Mid 14th Century Style*)
(* The bar grill was added to met SCA armour
14 ga. Stainless Steel Bascinet: The helmet shown is a size small
with close fitted bottom plate. The weight of the helmet is about
6.5 lbs. without camail or 12 lbs. with camail.
Patterns (Click on a thumbnail to get the full-size image)
- Medium-Size Helm: Top Pieces
- Medium-Size Helm: Regular Bottom Piece
- Medium-Size Helm: Long Bottom Piece
- Small-Size Helm: Top Pieces
- Small-Size Helm: Regular Bottom Piece
- Small-Size Helm: Close-Fitted Bottom Piece
I would build this helmet in the following order:
- Cut out the plates.
- Punch holes in the side/bottom plate for the camail mounting.
- Finish the plate edges and corners.
- Dish and shape the top halves.
- Weld the top halves together.
- Grind the weld flush on the outside and cleanup weld
on the inside if needed.
- Shape the side/bottom plate to fit the helmet top.
- Weld the side/bottom plate on to the helmet top.
- Grind weld flush on the outside and cleanup weld on
the inside if needed.
- Polish the helmet. (I use 3M surface conditioning disks)
- Build bar grill visor and attach it to the helmet.
- Add leather mounting strip for camail.
- Add the camail (You're on your own with the camail).